As someone who is a self-diagnosed trypophobic, it’s a little strange that I love lotus root as much as I do. Not only are they cool-looking, but the crunchy texture is unlike anything else. The following is an easy recipe mom uses for a quick veggie side dish. It takes 15 minutes to make and is a great textural add to any family meal.
- 1 lotus root
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 tsp neutral cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel lotus and cut into thin slices.
- Cut chili pepper into thin slices.
- Rinse lotus slices in water to remove starch
- Heat cooking oil in wok and roast the peppercorn until browned. Remove the peppercorns from the oil and discard.
- Add chili, stir for a minute. Then add lotus, soy sauce, sugar, salt. Stir fry for about 5 minutes
- Drizzle vinegar, mix, stir briefly, then serve hot.