Once upon a time, Mom used to make her darling little daughters something she coined Hot Dog Fried Rice. It is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Not until years later than we’d like to admit did we realized that this wasn’t actually a real dish in Chinese nor American culture.
I decided to honor one of our favorite childhood dishes by recreating it with Spam instead. Equally horrendous sounding, and some might think horrendous-looking too, it turned out pretty well. Does the orange tint of the rice throw you off? That’s because we add ketchup. Don’t knock it till you try it!
- 2 cups of day-old rice
- 1 container of Spam, diced
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of peas
- ¼ cup of corn
- Ketchup (you can substitute this for soy sauce if you’d prefer)
- Scramble eggs and set aside
- Toss all the SPAM and veggies together in a wok on high heat
- Add in day-old rice, breaking it up with your spoon as you toss it in the wok. Salt and pepper to taste